Thursday, November 1, 2012


Phil Lawrence
The Pleasure of Finding Things Out
Nov. 6 - Dec. 13, 2012
Gallery talk/reception - Wed. Nov. 14
11am - 1 pm, artist’s talk begins at noon




ARTIST'S STATEMENT




There is chaos under heaven – the situation is excellent.

Mao Zedong





The pieces in this show were constructed utilizing discarded and worn out objects often found in the construction trade and other related industries. Pieces are configured and re-configured from silkscreen frames, air hose, fire hose, garden hose, plywood, rope, plastic pipe and tubing and various plumbing and electrical parts. Most of the pieces are coated in many layers of house paint, glue and other industrial coatings.
I have spent most of my working life as a carpenter and a builder. From 1978 to 1986 I worked in theater; set building, acting and production. These two areas, construction and theater, have significantly influenced my development as a visual artist. My work has become more “sculptural” over the past couple years, which seems to coincide with my teaching sculpture here at HCC.
I tend not to ascribe any overt meaning to my work. Generally speaking my thinking is more sociological and political than artistic. My training and education is in educational philosophy and anthropology as much as it is in studio art. 

No comments:

Post a Comment